Sunday, December 27, 2009

Holidays

I'm taking some time off until the New Year, because I feel like it, so there. Novelisating is hard work and rest is sought.

I am watching The Holiday on ITV (regular readers will know I publically and privately abhor ITV and all its vapid works, but we are in the wilderness between X-Day and New Year, when everyone in the world takes off on holiday and leaves scheduling to the machines, so while ITV remains functionally evil, its intent is essentially jammed in neutral until the 4th) and reflecting that movies about unrequited love always end in one of three ways.

Option 1: it turns out to be requited after all. The infatuee was actually in love with the obsessor all the time and everyone can have a big unrealistic laugh about it. Fail.

Option 2: obsessor commits suicide. Realistic, possibly, but still fail as it doesn't address the problem of unrequited love except to say "wow, that's shit isn't it? Glad I'm not that pathetic".

Option 3: obsessor finds 'true' love with someone else. A Hollywood favourite, and the biggest bucket of fail of all as it simultaneously devalues the obsessor's feelings, belittles the infatuee's qualities (which were after all what drove the erstwhile admirer to passion in the first place) and perpetuates the idiotic and counterproductive belief that the only cure for aborted love is shagging someone else on the rebound.

There is no readily available escape route in fiction (or, therefore, in life) for unrequited love, which seems incredibly short-sighted and unfair. Ordinarily I'd write something myself that fixes this... but on reflection, what solution is there? I'm an engineer at heart and believe that all problems must by definition have solutions, but this one has me stumped.

Hmm. This kind of abstract equation is just the kind of thing that gives me sleepless nights until I can ready a synopsis. Perhaps this holiday will not be as restful as I hoped. Still, maybe I'll get a short story or a one-act play out of it, if I can solve this.

No comments: